Skip to main content

Talking With My Mouth Full

This morning, I am praying for wisdom, instruction, discernment, and understanding. I am looking at Proverbs 1:1-7 and asking for all that is hidden there. Lord, I ask for eyes to see and ears to hear.

While praying for ears to hear his voice of wisdom and instruction & eyes to see him display it, my vision was filled with a table spread before me. God has put before me a table filled with wisdom and knowledge, delicacies of council and instruction, plates piled with justice and judgment. His face is smiling and it beckons me to 'come and dine.' Once again, the idea that we have been given all things (2 Peter 1:3; 1 Cor 3:21) is presented to me. That includes all wisdom! Paul prayed in Col 1:9-10, 'that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding.' Jesus himself promised that the Holy Spirit would lead us into all truth (John 16:13).

Now, as I sat pondering this beautiful spread before me, I didn't stop there: I didn't simply look at it and think how beautiful the food was, how it smelled pleasing, etc. No, I excitedly went to the table and filled my mouth! Now, picture this if you will: My mouth is crammed WAY over capacity. I am stuffing  myself with his wisdom. Crumbs are falling out of my smiling mouth as I delight in the fare! My hands are holding fist fulls of goodies, ready to plunge them into my mouth...as soon as I can make some room. In between bites, I do my best to thank God for the spread. You've probably seen it before: someone who's mouth is so full of food and still they are trying to talk. Well, that was me this morning! "Thanks Lord" was hardly understandable since the words could barely be formed around all the glorious goodies!

It was in this moment that I felt the Spirit prompt my heart. He said, 'it's good to speak with your mouth full! And suddenly, his wisdom reached my heart. If I keep my mouth filled with the goodness of God, then what will come out? Goodness! It's like the crumbs falling out when I'm tyring to speak...crumbs of wisdom, mercy, and praises will automatically fall out onto others! The Holy Spirit was showing me that whatever I speak will get filtered through whatever fills my mouth. Psalm 149:6 says, 'let the high praises of God be in their mouth' and Psalm 34:1 says, 'I will bless the Lord at all times; his praise shall continually be in my mouth!' So, if I fill my mouth with his goodness, goodness will come forth! There are many references in God's word to having our mouths filled with laughter, new songs, blessings, etc. The table is spread. The food is glorious! My job is to pull up a chair and to start diggin' in! O, taste and see that the Lord is good (Psalm 34:8)!

So, this morning, I'm pulling up my chair; I'm rolling up my sleeves. Heck, I'm throwing away the silverware...and I'm chowing down! My mouth is gonna be full today but I'm gonna keep on talking. It's okay. Here at this table, it's good to talk with your mouth full.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Song in the Storm

Every weekday morning, I awake before dawn. I quietly and sleepily make my way down the stairs where I enjoy my first cup of coffee in my overstuffed chair. I always love listening to the early morning sounds of birds lifting their chorus. I close my eyes and sip my coffee to the sweet sound of nature praising God in the dawning light. This morning, however, was a bit different. I still quietly and sleepily made my way down the stairs to enjoy my coffee. However, this morning as I settled into my overstuffed chair, I heard thunder in the distance. Gazing out my window, I noticed a coming storm. Lightning and thunder was peeling in the dark sky, steadily creeping towards my house. It was in this instance that I noticed my familiar morning greeting: the birds were still singing in their trees. I sat in awe, listening to the birds noisily lift their voices as the steady rhythm of thunder and the flashing dance of the lightning drew closer and closer to their habitation. It was such a st

Closing Words: A Letter to All My Students

In case you have not heard the news, Geoff and I will be moving soon. We are starting a new chapter of our life…in Illinois, of all places!!! J A new chapter is always exciting. However, please know - We have no intention of ever closing the chapter of knowing and loving each one of you. We will always, ALWAYS be there for you. With Facebook and Skype we can always stay in touch, but even beyond that, we pray we stay personally connected to each of you. Knowing that we’ll soon be packing up and moving on, I’ve had a deep longing to give each of you a glimpse into my heart concerning you. So, what words can I leave you with? First off – know that my prayers will not stop for you. I never felt very good at connecting with you guys on a ‘buddy’ level like Geoff could. I was always envious of Geoff’s ability to be fun loving and down to earth with you all. But know that no one ever loved you more than me. My affection for you, although different from Geoff’s, has always been poured

My Father, My Friend

My Dad sent me a friend request on Facebook recently. I looked down on my phone and saw my Dad's name followed by the words, 'wants to be friends.' I gladly accepted. As I accepted his friend request, my heart was drawn into something I've been pondering lately - Friendship with my Father. It's amazing how friendship with my parents has happened. I can't tell you when it exactly happened, but somewhere along the way I became friends with my parents and not just a daughter. In fact, I don't call my parents because I have to...I really want to check on them, share my feelings with them, and just tell them about the mundane things of my day. Why? Because we're friends. Just yesterday I called my mom to see how her day was going. As I hung up the phone with her I thought about my teen years - back when I was much smarter than she was and couldn't stand it when she wanted to know every little detail of my day, let alone my Life! As my mind wandered back