Skip to main content

Enriching Speech

Well...God convicted me once again of something I shared with someone that I should not have. Sigh....

I thought about it before I said it but my mouth shared it anyway. I wish time had a rewind button. Pause. Rewind. Delete!

So, friends who are keeping up with my progress...I blew it once again! Truly that is the problem with too much conversation: it can lead to too much information. Ya know how it goes - "well, so-and-so is so-and-so and yada yada" and so it goes. Ugh.

I'm learning some things in my head and I need God's Spirit to awaken them deeply in my heart. For instance, I've said it before but it is God's Spirit in me who speaks edification and blessing. My job? I must simply yield to the indwelling power of God. It's there! It's every present! The very DESIRE to speak only blessing is there, residing in me because it is no longer I who live but Christ who lives in me. The trouble is...I forget that. I forget that I am dead. I forget that it is Christ who is living in me. This is the reality that must fully root itself in my heart.

And it's this reality to which the Spirit keeps bringing me back: Christ is in me. 1 Corinthians 1:4-9 woke me up again to this truth this morning (It's amazing how he keeps brining me back to scriptures involving speech! Yikes!). It says:

"I thank my God always concerning you for the grace of God which was given to you by Christ Jesus, that you were enriched in everything by Him, in all utterance (speech) and all knowledge..."

Okay. Let's stop right there. That's enough to halt me in my tracks. This passage begins with the fact that I, as a believer, have been given the grace of God. Now, grace is so much more than "unmerited favor." It goes WAAAY beyond that! Grace is the "empowering presence" of God. It's the power to live the life of Christ fully and completely! Grace is not weak; it is mighty, indeed! Paul says here that "the empowering presence of God WAS given to me by Christ." His very essence fills up my being. John 1:14 says that Jesus was full of grace and truth. He was full of the empowering presence of the Father AND NOW he has given me that same authority, that same position as an heir of God. Christ is in me (Col. 1:27)! Not WILL be...but is, presently, actively dwelling in this holy temple. This empowering presence of God is the source of everything that I need to live godly. 2 Peter 1:3-4 says that  I HAVE ALREADY BEEN GIVEN all things that pertain to life and godliness. I am "enriched in everything" (1 Cor 1:4). How? Through the power of Christ living in me! I have ALL that I need within me to live holy and righteous, flowing in the fruits of God's Spirit. This includes my speech.

Paul says here that because of the empowering presence of God's Spirit, even my speech is enriched. Oh, Jesus! Conquering my speech is not a work to be done...but a work that HAS been done! My 'work' is to simply REST and YIELD to the work that the Spirit has placed inside of me. Truly, to 'work OUT my salvation'...to get it OUT OF ME! Isn't that what Paul says in Philippians 2:12-13? Work OUT your own salvation...because it is God who works IN you both to WILL and to DO!? The working of God inside of me is so rich and deep that the very ability to do right and the very will to do right is in me. Truly, it is His Spirit in me willing and doing. I must yield to it. This is why Paul exhorts us in Colossians 4:6 to always let our speech be with grace, aka - always let your speech be done FROM the empowering presence of God!

So, Holy Spirit, this is my prayer this morning. By your grace I yield. By your grace I believe. It is all through you that I stand. In you I live and move and have my very being. Thank you that your Spirit is living in me...not a little, but completely! I thank you that I have been given all things that I need to live godly. I thank you that you have enriched me in all things. I declare that even my speech is enriched by You. Now, give me grace to yield to this truth. Give me the grace to remember this truth all day long.

In Jesus name. I believe it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Song in the Storm

Every weekday morning, I awake before dawn. I quietly and sleepily make my way down the stairs where I enjoy my first cup of coffee in my overstuffed chair. I always love listening to the early morning sounds of birds lifting their chorus. I close my eyes and sip my coffee to the sweet sound of nature praising God in the dawning light. This morning, however, was a bit different. I still quietly and sleepily made my way down the stairs to enjoy my coffee. However, this morning as I settled into my overstuffed chair, I heard thunder in the distance. Gazing out my window, I noticed a coming storm. Lightning and thunder was peeling in the dark sky, steadily creeping towards my house. It was in this instance that I noticed my familiar morning greeting: the birds were still singing in their trees. I sat in awe, listening to the birds noisily lift their voices as the steady rhythm of thunder and the flashing dance of the lightning drew closer and closer to their habitation. It was such a st

Closing Words: A Letter to All My Students

In case you have not heard the news, Geoff and I will be moving soon. We are starting a new chapter of our life…in Illinois, of all places!!! J A new chapter is always exciting. However, please know - We have no intention of ever closing the chapter of knowing and loving each one of you. We will always, ALWAYS be there for you. With Facebook and Skype we can always stay in touch, but even beyond that, we pray we stay personally connected to each of you. Knowing that we’ll soon be packing up and moving on, I’ve had a deep longing to give each of you a glimpse into my heart concerning you. So, what words can I leave you with? First off – know that my prayers will not stop for you. I never felt very good at connecting with you guys on a ‘buddy’ level like Geoff could. I was always envious of Geoff’s ability to be fun loving and down to earth with you all. But know that no one ever loved you more than me. My affection for you, although different from Geoff’s, has always been poured

My Father, My Friend

My Dad sent me a friend request on Facebook recently. I looked down on my phone and saw my Dad's name followed by the words, 'wants to be friends.' I gladly accepted. As I accepted his friend request, my heart was drawn into something I've been pondering lately - Friendship with my Father. It's amazing how friendship with my parents has happened. I can't tell you when it exactly happened, but somewhere along the way I became friends with my parents and not just a daughter. In fact, I don't call my parents because I have to...I really want to check on them, share my feelings with them, and just tell them about the mundane things of my day. Why? Because we're friends. Just yesterday I called my mom to see how her day was going. As I hung up the phone with her I thought about my teen years - back when I was much smarter than she was and couldn't stand it when she wanted to know every little detail of my day, let alone my Life! As my mind wandered back