Skip to main content

Repentance

Well, Christmas time has caused me to be very busy. Alas, I have been away from my computer...but not from my challenge! I've been doing well in guarding my mouth, overall. However, there have been a couple of occasions over this holiday where I have paused to think about what I'm saying. Yep...I have found myself in repentance. Once, I was explaining to someone how a certain person was not the most fun to hang around. I wasn't being mean...I was dipping it in sugar and explaining how I loved them and how they were a great person...but just boring. When I was through giving my opinion, the person I was talking to said, 'Well...I hope you don't talk about me that way when I'm not around." OUCH!!! And touche! Good point, there, friend.

I also found myself sharing something with someone that wasn't necessary to share. As soon as I opened my mouth I knew I had trapped myself in sin. Not gonna sugar coat it. I shouldn't have done it and it sure wasn't done in faith and blessing. Was it true? Yes. Was it just my opinion? No. It was an honest to goodness story about a touchy, painful situation. But, once again...it didn't bring blessing. So, this holiday was spent with a good deal of repenting.

Here is my issue. When talking with this person, I often find myself wondering what to do. They need to talk about some of the things they are going through and I am an ear to listen. The situations are real. They are hard. But, it's not edifying to anyone. We all go through garbage. I understand that people feel like they need to talk about it...to hash it out and process it. But, in all honesty, it becomes a trap. Once you open up the box of talking about your problems, it's sure hard to stop. This is what happened recently...and I jumped in with my two cents. How do you balance this? How do we honestly share our feelings but also keep from complaining? Do we not share our feelings? Do we act like Pollyanna? There is a balance here, I know. Feelings need to be shared. But, I do believe that maturity beckons us to restrain them. This is the Spirit led life: to know when to speak and to know when to remain silent. How can I listen to a friend and not feed their complaining BUT not be so quick to say 'priase the Lord' that I seem to be burying my head in the sand? Wisdom. Point blank. I need more wisdom. This comes from being Spirit led.

So, this is my prayer. Father, Your Spirit is in me, 100%. I yield to You this morning. Give me grace to be led by you in word and dead. Help me silence my own thoughts and give place to your own so that divine wisdom guides my life. Oh, to know and understand You, God! I desire to be yielded to you so completely that your very nature becomes my own. Let kindness grace my lips today and always, Spirit. I love and praise you. You are my source, my life, my song.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Song in the Storm

Every weekday morning, I awake before dawn. I quietly and sleepily make my way down the stairs where I enjoy my first cup of coffee in my overstuffed chair. I always love listening to the early morning sounds of birds lifting their chorus. I close my eyes and sip my coffee to the sweet sound of nature praising God in the dawning light. This morning, however, was a bit different. I still quietly and sleepily made my way down the stairs to enjoy my coffee. However, this morning as I settled into my overstuffed chair, I heard thunder in the distance. Gazing out my window, I noticed a coming storm. Lightning and thunder was peeling in the dark sky, steadily creeping towards my house. It was in this instance that I noticed my familiar morning greeting: the birds were still singing in their trees. I sat in awe, listening to the birds noisily lift their voices as the steady rhythm of thunder and the flashing dance of the lightning drew closer and closer to their habitation. It was such a st

Closing Words: A Letter to All My Students

In case you have not heard the news, Geoff and I will be moving soon. We are starting a new chapter of our life…in Illinois, of all places!!! J A new chapter is always exciting. However, please know - We have no intention of ever closing the chapter of knowing and loving each one of you. We will always, ALWAYS be there for you. With Facebook and Skype we can always stay in touch, but even beyond that, we pray we stay personally connected to each of you. Knowing that we’ll soon be packing up and moving on, I’ve had a deep longing to give each of you a glimpse into my heart concerning you. So, what words can I leave you with? First off – know that my prayers will not stop for you. I never felt very good at connecting with you guys on a ‘buddy’ level like Geoff could. I was always envious of Geoff’s ability to be fun loving and down to earth with you all. But know that no one ever loved you more than me. My affection for you, although different from Geoff’s, has always been poured

Psalm 17 Insights Part 2

In reading Psalm 17 yesterday, I could not escape verse 2... let my vindication come from Your Presence. As soon as I read the words, I sensed the Holy Spirit. I came back to it over and over while I read the Psalm. My first thought was, 'Wow! David is soooo bold!' But then my thoughts would be wrapped in the Presence and I knew there was more here for me. So, I did what I need to do more often - I journaled about it, taking it to God one on one. I've posted that entry here below, but before you read it, let me say this: I know there is more here that I've yet to tap into. I believe this is a message for intercessors specifically. But more than that, it is a message for the hungry ones in the Kingdom. I'll add  few words at the end of this post to sum up some more thoughts I believe God is putting together for me. For now, enjoy the entry posted below: Psalm 17:2 – Let my vindication come from Your presence… There is something here for me today, Lord. I sens