Skip to main content

Day 1 of the Challenge: let the Silence begin!

December 8, 2010

Well, folks...I am starting a journal/blog about monitoring my mouth. I thought about doing this a few weeks ago, then, after the Holy Spirit brought some conviction to me today…about something that I said that I didn’t even realize was grieving to Him...I decided to jump in. I prayed about it & the Lord told me to get serious in my fight with my mouth. What better way than to start a blog, I thought. So, today I will begin to journal my progress on keeping watch over my mouth. I'm trying to get some friends on board to keep watch with me. My goal is that in a years time, my friends will see a vast difference in the outflow of my mouth; that my speech will drip with edifying Presence; that the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart will be pleasing to God (Ps 19:14) at all times. Holy Spirit, you are my source. Your words are pure. They are Spirit and they are life. I begin my steps today by declaring I desire the same: only pure, life-filled words.

I'm calling this my Psalm 17:3 challenge, which simply states, "I have purposed that my mouth shall not transgress." That's a pretty good purpose. But, what I'm finding is that I have the habit of transgressing with my mouth...and not even realizing it! I think that we as Christians do this...we grumble, not in MASSIVE ways...but just enough to not even realize that it's grumbling. We say something about someone, not MEAN...because, we're Christians...we wouldn't do THAT....but what we say was not really edifying, either. How much of my conversation is sprinkled with little subtitles of sin? It's not that I'm living under judgmental, law based pressure in doing this. But I am determined to think and act and talk like Jesus. I want to see the potential in people and then speak  it forth...just like Jesus did! Peter wasn't a rock when Jesus declared him to be one....but he saw his potential and spoke it forth. How many 'rock heads' do I refer to? Eeep!!! Oh, Lord...help me!

This scripture has really messed me up this year: Jeremiah , "Therefore thus says the Lord:
"If you return,then I will bring you back;You shall stand before Me; If you take out the precious from the vile,you shall be as My mouth." I want my mouth to declare what is precious in all people and in every situation. I want to look at others around me...even the hardest hearted wretch whose screaming in my face...and see the precious heart that God desires to heal...and then, I want to speak it forth. In so doing, I will 'be as God's mouth.'

This is an excerpt from my prayer journal from this morning. This is what the Lord spoke to me:

I want to break your heart with the things that break mine, daughter. You do well to weep when I am grieved. To recognize sin for what it is, is good. To know the subtleties of the enemy’s ways is necessary to win the battle of a pure heart. The ground is your heart. This is where the battle is fought. And yes, so many things grow in the heart that you cultivate unaware. The enemy plants the tares in the heart and my people do not even realize that they are there. It takes the voice of my Spirit showing you the dangers there in to realize what it really is...sin.

Lord, how can I conquer my mouth?

By keeping it fit with praise…and not just praise of me, child…praise of others. If you are truly concerned for my body, my sheep...then you will build them up, no matter what. I know you desire this. I see your heart...for it is my heart in you.

So, today begins one of my journeys...along with others that I am on. I challenge those who are close to me to watch my words over the next year. I am sharing this with all of you so that you KNOW and will keep me accountable. If I'm not praising...tell me!

Here I am, Lord! Speak through me! I purpose this day that I will not sin with my mouth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Song in the Storm

Every weekday morning, I awake before dawn. I quietly and sleepily make my way down the stairs where I enjoy my first cup of coffee in my overstuffed chair. I always love listening to the early morning sounds of birds lifting their chorus. I close my eyes and sip my coffee to the sweet sound of nature praising God in the dawning light. This morning, however, was a bit different. I still quietly and sleepily made my way down the stairs to enjoy my coffee. However, this morning as I settled into my overstuffed chair, I heard thunder in the distance. Gazing out my window, I noticed a coming storm. Lightning and thunder was peeling in the dark sky, steadily creeping towards my house. It was in this instance that I noticed my familiar morning greeting: the birds were still singing in their trees. I sat in awe, listening to the birds noisily lift their voices as the steady rhythm of thunder and the flashing dance of the lightning drew closer and closer to their habitation. It was such a st

Closing Words: A Letter to All My Students

In case you have not heard the news, Geoff and I will be moving soon. We are starting a new chapter of our life…in Illinois, of all places!!! J A new chapter is always exciting. However, please know - We have no intention of ever closing the chapter of knowing and loving each one of you. We will always, ALWAYS be there for you. With Facebook and Skype we can always stay in touch, but even beyond that, we pray we stay personally connected to each of you. Knowing that we’ll soon be packing up and moving on, I’ve had a deep longing to give each of you a glimpse into my heart concerning you. So, what words can I leave you with? First off – know that my prayers will not stop for you. I never felt very good at connecting with you guys on a ‘buddy’ level like Geoff could. I was always envious of Geoff’s ability to be fun loving and down to earth with you all. But know that no one ever loved you more than me. My affection for you, although different from Geoff’s, has always been poured

Psalm 17 Insights Part 2

In reading Psalm 17 yesterday, I could not escape verse 2... let my vindication come from Your Presence. As soon as I read the words, I sensed the Holy Spirit. I came back to it over and over while I read the Psalm. My first thought was, 'Wow! David is soooo bold!' But then my thoughts would be wrapped in the Presence and I knew there was more here for me. So, I did what I need to do more often - I journaled about it, taking it to God one on one. I've posted that entry here below, but before you read it, let me say this: I know there is more here that I've yet to tap into. I believe this is a message for intercessors specifically. But more than that, it is a message for the hungry ones in the Kingdom. I'll add  few words at the end of this post to sum up some more thoughts I believe God is putting together for me. For now, enjoy the entry posted below: Psalm 17:2 – Let my vindication come from Your presence… There is something here for me today, Lord. I sens