Skip to main content

Psalm 23 Part 3 - He leads Me

Here is a journal entry from 2011 that the Lord brought me back to recently. I asked the Lord to show me truth in his 23rd Psalm. He began to paint for me a picture that began with us in the pasture but it ended with me understanding so much more about our relationship. It was a revelation that my heart needed...and I still need to return to it often. I pray it blessed you this morning!




January 24, 2011


Lord, what do you want to say to me this morning about the 23rd Psalm?

I see Jesus kneeling by a sheep...a wooly sheep. It has a collar and a bell and there is a leash on it. But, Jesus is bending down and taking the leash off from the collar.
                         
You are not led like this, child.

I reach down, kneeling beside Jesus and pet the sheep. After a moment, it trots off with a baa and a jingle of its bell to the other sheep. We laugh.


This leash in my hand…? Jesus tosses it.
It’s not needed, with you, child.


Jesus put his arm around my shoulder as we walk towards the flock. The land is lush and green. Beautiful mountains along the horizon.



You do not need to be tamed or pulled. A sheep does not need to be pulled or tamed. It is trained by the hearing of the ear, by the gentle nudging of my crook and the gentle call of my voice. It follows, not out of obligation, but out of sheer trust.


We sit down in the green field. I see the crook lying on the grass next to Jesus. We are comfortable in this field. I see that my ‘collar’ is a necklace with a cross on it. I hold it and look at it.
 
 
This is your decoration, child. The sheep wears the bell so that I can hear it. But you, child…you are always before my eyes…even in the darkest of places, I see you and I hear you. You wear a necklace for beauties sake. I decorate your life with beauty, not with a leash or collar. It is a necklace given as a precious gift. The cross lies on your heart.
 
Like the bundle of myrrh in Song of Songs J

 
Yes! Jesus squeezes me in.
 
 
This cross lies on your heart as a reminder of my love for you. Yes, it is about you here and now. See these sheep? They do not know where they are going. Nor do they fear. But you, child, are not a mere sheep. You are my beloved one. I grace you, not like a mere sheep, but as a friend and lover…as the Bridegroom does his bride. My sacrifice for you lies upon your heart as a reminder. You are more valuable to me than all the sheep in a flock, child J. Yet, the Good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. How much more so will the good bridegroom, the good king, lay down his life for the one his heart burns for? His heart bleeds for? I love you with an everlasting love. Not as a pet but as a
companion and friend. Yet, child, you trust me as a sheep does a shepherd to lead you and direct you. This is the trust of a bride to her groom.
 
 
Selah. I love you, Lord.
 
 
I am now walking among the flock, running my hand gently over their wool. There is a crook in my hand. Jesus is standing watching and smiling. We laugh.
 
 
But, Lord…YOU are MY shepherd! That’s what I came to talk to you about this morning!
 
 
Oh, my child. You delight my heart. I trust in you as you trust in me. Even as you have said, lead me, lord….as a sheep to the shepherd, I have given you charge of your own little flock and said, ‘lead them.’ You have served faithfully to the best of your ability and beyond child…truly, to lead them as you know how into my ways. You have led them into green pastures to find rest and this is pleasing to me.
 
 
Thank you, Lord.
 
You have done well, child. My bride. Now, it is time for you to rest in me. Child, your heart keeps coming back to this because this is what I want you to see today: You are more than a sheep to me. You are my bride. THIS is how I’ve called you to live. Yes, I will lead you and you need not want. But hear me now: This is the love of a father to a child, of a husband to his bride. No fear. Just mercy and love. Just peace in direction. You have known much fear and mistrust in your leading through the years on the natural plain. And yet, child…you have pleased me because you have fought your way through the doubt and mistrust to a place of surrender to ME. This honors ME, child. When you honor your husband and his decision though they may seem cloudy and muddled to you, it honors ME. This is why I can trust you with my most precious possessions. My treasures of glory, of purpose…and yes with my flocks for your care. You honor when it is hard and this honors me. But as for me? I am a good Father. I am the Maker, your husband and I will always lead you safely on. You are made for more than mere trust. You are made to be beside me, walking hand in hand. You are made as my companion for the ages, my helpmate, the one who comes along side under my arm and next to my heart. Don’t you see? This is a relationship way beyond that of shepherd and sheep…but it will not be known to all. It will be opened only to those who do not need the leash J. It will be given to those who press into my heart. I woo all but not all hear. They wander like sheep. You have stayed close to the shepherd’s tent, child and you have found favor. Even as Ruth slept at the feet of Boaz, child, you have found your redeemer. You have pleased me with the pursuit of my heart. I have promised you life and love and you will receive it.
 
You are mine, beautiful one. Just remember that today. No power in hell can separate you from me for we are MORE than just mere shepherd and sheep, although that is a strong bond indeed. You and I are father to child and maker to created. We are bridegroom and bride forever. I trust you with my heart and you trust me with yours. This is UNION. One flesh. This is trust at a whole other level, child. Beyond mere feeding and leading. This is union.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Song in the Storm

Every weekday morning, I awake before dawn. I quietly and sleepily make my way down the stairs where I enjoy my first cup of coffee in my overstuffed chair. I always love listening to the early morning sounds of birds lifting their chorus. I close my eyes and sip my coffee to the sweet sound of nature praising God in the dawning light. This morning, however, was a bit different. I still quietly and sleepily made my way down the stairs to enjoy my coffee. However, this morning as I settled into my overstuffed chair, I heard thunder in the distance. Gazing out my window, I noticed a coming storm. Lightning and thunder was peeling in the dark sky, steadily creeping towards my house. It was in this instance that I noticed my familiar morning greeting: the birds were still singing in their trees. I sat in awe, listening to the birds noisily lift their voices as the steady rhythm of thunder and the flashing dance of the lightning drew closer and closer to their habitation. It was such a st

Closing Words: A Letter to All My Students

In case you have not heard the news, Geoff and I will be moving soon. We are starting a new chapter of our life…in Illinois, of all places!!! J A new chapter is always exciting. However, please know - We have no intention of ever closing the chapter of knowing and loving each one of you. We will always, ALWAYS be there for you. With Facebook and Skype we can always stay in touch, but even beyond that, we pray we stay personally connected to each of you. Knowing that we’ll soon be packing up and moving on, I’ve had a deep longing to give each of you a glimpse into my heart concerning you. So, what words can I leave you with? First off – know that my prayers will not stop for you. I never felt very good at connecting with you guys on a ‘buddy’ level like Geoff could. I was always envious of Geoff’s ability to be fun loving and down to earth with you all. But know that no one ever loved you more than me. My affection for you, although different from Geoff’s, has always been poured

Psalm 17 Insights Part 2

In reading Psalm 17 yesterday, I could not escape verse 2... let my vindication come from Your Presence. As soon as I read the words, I sensed the Holy Spirit. I came back to it over and over while I read the Psalm. My first thought was, 'Wow! David is soooo bold!' But then my thoughts would be wrapped in the Presence and I knew there was more here for me. So, I did what I need to do more often - I journaled about it, taking it to God one on one. I've posted that entry here below, but before you read it, let me say this: I know there is more here that I've yet to tap into. I believe this is a message for intercessors specifically. But more than that, it is a message for the hungry ones in the Kingdom. I'll add  few words at the end of this post to sum up some more thoughts I believe God is putting together for me. For now, enjoy the entry posted below: Psalm 17:2 – Let my vindication come from Your presence… There is something here for me today, Lord. I sens