Skip to main content

Psalm 23: Part 2

He makes me lie down in green pastures...

While reading this passage, I was struck by the words 'He MAKES me.' I'm sure the writer simply meant 'he causes me' to lie down but still, I had to laugh as I pondered the interpretation through a personal story my parents shared with me. My parents have often reminded me of a time when I was around 2 years old and, for what ever reason, I refused to sit down in my high chair one day at the table. No matter how many times they told me to sit down, I would not. They even resorted to swatting my chubby little legs and alas - I would not sit down. I was determined: I would not sit. Period. Now certainly I had a 'good' reason for standing, being the angelic 2 year old that I was (cough, cough, wink, wink). Of course, my parents were able to see the benefits of sitting in my chair that I could not. As parents and guides, they understood the danger of standing in a high chair. They understood how much easier it is to enjoy a meal when seated at the table. They understood that they had brought me to the table to eat - not stand. Yet there I was - refusing to take a seat.

This is why I had to laugh when I read the words 'He MAKES me lie down.' Sometimes, we as God's kids are just as stubborn as I was that day standing in my high chair. We don't actually say these words out loud, but somewhere deep in our spirits we're saying, 'I've got an agenda and my own ideas of where to go and what to do so, pardon me God, but I'm much too busy to lie down.'  What's even more ironic is that often times our busyness, our agendas, are all about pleasing Him. We try so hard to 'be holy' and to please Him when all the while, Jesus has brought us to the table to enjoy communion with him...not work for him. To use a well worn cliche, it's the Martha syndrome of running around working for Jesus. Humor me a second and imagine that scene. Jesus is sitting in a nice, cushy chair. His disciples are strewn around the living room - Thomas is sitting on the ottoman, Peter is laid out next to the fire, John is propped up on the arm of the Lazy Boy in which Jesus is sitting. Of course, there's Mary resting right at His feet, hanging on every word. The crackle of the fire is inviting, the smell of the food is comforting, and the voice of our Savior is intoxicating. Now add to this serene scene the image of a woman who has sweat dripping from her brow, sleeves rolled up, flour on her apron, and frustration on her face. I can imagine Martha stepping over those who are lounging on the floor listening to Jesus. She's going back and forth, carrying this and that, getting more and more angry as she watches her sister and the others doing absolutely nothing. She's banging the pots and pans, she shrieking as the water is boiling over, until finally, she's had enough! Enough of this blasted rest!


He MAKES me lie down...this is exactly what Jesus had to do for Martha. And you and I are no different. You see, for whatever reason, we are suckers for busyness in the Kingdom. I guess everything within our culture tells us that a lot of activity means a lot is getting accomplished, but in the Kingdom? Things are topsy turvy. Still, what's amazing about Jesus is that he knows our frame. He knows our nature and is incredibly patient with us because He knows that the sheep will not find rest without a shepherd. Apart from the Shepherd, the sheep are restless, frantic and always lying down in pastures that do not have the ability to sustain them. You see, our self efforts make us feel like we are accomplishing much, but in the end, we're just like sheep - frantic and in need of a shepherd to bring us rest.

Just like my parents understood years ago, Jesus understands the danger of "standing in a high chair." He understands the dangers of standing in the place of rest. He has seated us in a high chair with him in the heavenlies. All things are under our feet because of the work HE has accomplished and we are running around acting like WE have something to prove to Him. Jesus also understands, like my parents did, how much easier it is to enjoy a meal when we are seated at the table. I'll say it again: Jesus has brought us to the place of communion for the sake of communion. Imagine going out to eat with a dear friend you really want to spend time with only to have them never sit down and enjoy the rest!

Our Great Shepherd has made the way for us to find rest. It's a work HE has accomplished. Jesus said in John 5:36, that he had a work 'which the Father had given Him to FINISH...'. The work to finish.  When did he finish the work? John 19:28-30 tells us the events of Jesus' death: "After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished...said, 'It is finished.' And what is the work He has finished? What was accomplished? Rest. Rest from striving. Rest from worry. Rest from fear. Rest from self-efforts. Rest from the Law. Jesus told the listeners in his great sermon on the mount that the law would not pass away until 'all is accomplished' (Matt 5:18). Jesus accomplished his work on Calvary. The Great Overseer of our soul has made the way for each of us to find rest. He's MADE the way for us to lie down in the ever green fields of redemption and grace.

What is our part in all of this? To rest. Rest is found on the hearts of those who have learned to trust their Shepherd. Everything in our old nature, many things even being taught in pulpits, and a lot of things in our day to day routine will war against this rest. So, as the writer of Hebrews said, any striving on our part now is 'to enter the rest' of Christ (4:11). The 'war' we are in is not so much about binding and rebuking demons...it's about trusting in the finished work of Christ. It's striving to rest. And each and everyone of us will find ourselves at times striving for all the wrong reasons. But even then, our Shepherd is so incredibly good. It's in that moment, if we'll just turn our weak gaze to him, that we will find rest. Just one look into His eyes and he'll make us lie down.  He won't even have to swat our chubby little legs! With just a glance into those eyes that burn with fiery passion, we'll know that we are loved. We'll know that we have found our Place of Rest. We'll awaken to the truth that it's a lot easier to enjoy communion on the pastures of grace when we are seated next to the Shepherd. So, with a sigh of relief, let's you and I fall once again into that rest of grace. Let's willingly and lovingly confess that the Shepherd has made us lie down because of the work He has accomplished.

Anyone feel like resting?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Song in the Storm

Every weekday morning, I awake before dawn. I quietly and sleepily make my way down the stairs where I enjoy my first cup of coffee in my overstuffed chair. I always love listening to the early morning sounds of birds lifting their chorus. I close my eyes and sip my coffee to the sweet sound of nature praising God in the dawning light. This morning, however, was a bit different. I still quietly and sleepily made my way down the stairs to enjoy my coffee. However, this morning as I settled into my overstuffed chair, I heard thunder in the distance. Gazing out my window, I noticed a coming storm. Lightning and thunder was peeling in the dark sky, steadily creeping towards my house. It was in this instance that I noticed my familiar morning greeting: the birds were still singing in their trees. I sat in awe, listening to the birds noisily lift their voices as the steady rhythm of thunder and the flashing dance of the lightning drew closer and closer to their habitation. It was such a st

Closing Words: A Letter to All My Students

In case you have not heard the news, Geoff and I will be moving soon. We are starting a new chapter of our life…in Illinois, of all places!!! J A new chapter is always exciting. However, please know - We have no intention of ever closing the chapter of knowing and loving each one of you. We will always, ALWAYS be there for you. With Facebook and Skype we can always stay in touch, but even beyond that, we pray we stay personally connected to each of you. Knowing that we’ll soon be packing up and moving on, I’ve had a deep longing to give each of you a glimpse into my heart concerning you. So, what words can I leave you with? First off – know that my prayers will not stop for you. I never felt very good at connecting with you guys on a ‘buddy’ level like Geoff could. I was always envious of Geoff’s ability to be fun loving and down to earth with you all. But know that no one ever loved you more than me. My affection for you, although different from Geoff’s, has always been poured

Psalm 17 Insights Part 2

In reading Psalm 17 yesterday, I could not escape verse 2... let my vindication come from Your Presence. As soon as I read the words, I sensed the Holy Spirit. I came back to it over and over while I read the Psalm. My first thought was, 'Wow! David is soooo bold!' But then my thoughts would be wrapped in the Presence and I knew there was more here for me. So, I did what I need to do more often - I journaled about it, taking it to God one on one. I've posted that entry here below, but before you read it, let me say this: I know there is more here that I've yet to tap into. I believe this is a message for intercessors specifically. But more than that, it is a message for the hungry ones in the Kingdom. I'll add  few words at the end of this post to sum up some more thoughts I believe God is putting together for me. For now, enjoy the entry posted below: Psalm 17:2 – Let my vindication come from Your presence… There is something here for me today, Lord. I sens