Skip to main content

Seeing is Believing & Believing is Seeing

If there's any disciple that gets a bad rap it's Thomas. I mean, how would you like to be know as Doubting Desiree or Doubting Tom, Dick, or Harry? Not exactly the title we'd want to be known as. I'm sure when we get to heaven, Thomas will say, 'Okay! Let's just address ONE thing right now: My name is not DOUBTING Thomas! I mean, I was a MARTYR for goodness sake!'

In all honesty, I love Thomas'...well...honesty! In John 14, he's the only dude to break the silence and say to Jesus, 'we have no idea what you're talking about' (vs 4-5)! Like the other guys weren't thinking the same thing. It's real easy for us to criticize him for his doubt or Peter for his 'foot in mouth' disease, saying 'tsk, tsk!' as we read their stories. But every single person can identify on some level with their humanity and weakness.

Weakness and humanity is not a bad thing. It's when we try to work and reason within our human weakness that we make a mess of things. Admitting our weakness as humans is actually a beautiful, freeing thing because its then that we are able to be filled with God's supernatural strength.

Today, I came to Christ in weakness. I didn't even really realize how weak I was until he began to peel back the layers of my heart. Suddenly I realized: Dang. I'm weary. I'm weak. I just feel like crying. And you know what? This is exactly where Jesus wanted me to be. He wanted me to see my weakness not so that he could reprimand me and say, 'Bad, human! Bad! Bad!'...but so that he could show me my need and then heal my heart. Our heavenly Father is so good. He'll let us kick and scream until we get it out of our system, then he will come and gently touch our heart.

So, what was my tantrum about today? Oh, more than one thing :). I came in MUCH weakness! But this is what I wanted to share...and I know that not everyone will agree or understand. But to me? It's crazy encouraging. I've been holding onto a promise and believing for so long now. But, Father challenged me today asking me what was I believing for? I really believe this is an issue within the church and I'll expound more in just a second. For now, read what the Father told me about my believing for His word. As I began to pray, I saw myself as a little girl in the arms of Jesus. I then saw the Father walk over and rub my head. He bent down and asked me why had I been crying.  I reached my hands out for him and he picked me up, a concerned brow furrowed, and a concerned‘oh’ escaping his mouth. I was clinging to him when I said:

Papa! Don’t let me go. I really just need to be held, don’t I?

My baby. My child. I’ve got you. It’s okay to cry. You feel a bit abandoned deep down. It’s okay.
I don’t know why I feel like this.
You have put on a good front, child. Sometimes faith isn’t denying the problem. You’ve wanted to be strong in believing….but believing without faith, believing apart from me leaves you dry.
...But isn’t faith sometimes, well…trying? Hard? Difficult? Like with what I’m feeling lately?
...Your soul can know my ways even when the trying is taking place, child. I also know, child….that hope deferred makes the heart sick. Faith must produce. It must give way to the skies actually parting or it makes the heart sick. I have given you a promise. Hold on a little longer. The skies will part. Do not let your hope run dry, child. Come back to me, drink from these waters and let your hope be restored. Just a little longer. Endure a bit more. I will come to you like the rain and refresh you. I promise. You need reassurance. I am here today to reassure.
Thank you, Papa. I feel better already. This is the seed of this abandonment? This feeling of hope deferred or delayed?
You must see to believe. Yes, believing is seeing but you must see to believe in fullness. See with your heart first and you will see with the eyes. I do not ask you to simply believe. You will also see. Yes, blessed is the man who has not seen and yet believes. But hear me, child….I am not cruel. I do not make promises I do not keep. Not seeing the answer you believe for is cruel and is wrong. When I give you a promise, I will keep it. You must see to keep believing. So, look for my word to be fulfilled in little ways until the promise comes. Look for what I am doing as a reminder to your soul….what I’ve spoken and what I’m doing in the day to day until it comes in full.


Okay. Soooo, I needed him to explain this a bit more to me because I know the scripture says, 'Blessed are those who have not seen and yet believe.' So, I opened up John 20 and I asked him to expound on these verses:

24 Now Thomas (also known as Didymus), one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came. 25 So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord!”
But he said to them, “Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.”
26 A week later his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!” 27 Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.”
28 Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!”
29 Then Jesus told him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

Explain to me, please, the passage in John 20:24-29 about Thomas and seeing and believing. Confirm what you are speaking to me above please.
Verse 25 – Was his heart open to the testimony?
No, Lord. It was closed. Hard. Unyielding in unbelief.
Are you like this?

No. I think I know why I’m not…but tell me in your own words J
Child, you have never seen me but with the eyes of your heart and yet YOU BELIEVE. You are blessed. You have put your faith in me and yet you have not seen me. It is true faith, indeed! You are blessed among men because you have believed and not seen.
So, balance that then with what you taught me above…’you must see to believe.’
It is as I told you, child. I do not expect you to believe in NOTHING. Belief must have substance. Answers must come or your belief is futile. You must receive the answer to that which you seek in order to keep believing. Do you see?
Yes, Lord! J You really GIVE good gifts to those who love you.
You do not wait in faith for nothing. I WILL give good gifts to you. I will open up the windows of heaven and poor down blessings upon you that you cannot contain! I promise to ACT not just speak in poetic forms.
That makes so much more sense. Thank you, Lord.


I don't know if this will minister to anyone else...but it sure ministers to me. I believe the church for so long now has been believing - believing for revival, believing for lost loved ones, believing for promises in His word....but we've simply gotten into the pattern of merely believing. Simply put, we've lost the expectation that answers MUST follow belief. In other words, we must know in our hearts that God answers. In order to know that...we must SEE it. This is not a lack of faith. I'm afraid some people will see it as such, but believe me, it is not a lack of faith it is trust in God! What the Lord told me to do above is to start looking for answered prayers and his moving in day to day life. This will keep me SEEING which will keep me believing. This will keep me seeing which will keep me believing for the promise I am waiting on to come.


Prayer without answers is not the Kingdom way. We must see God working. He desires not to merely make promises, but to GIVE us the fruit of those promises. Let's keep believing...but let's also start looking! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Song in the Storm

Every weekday morning, I awake before dawn. I quietly and sleepily make my way down the stairs where I enjoy my first cup of coffee in my overstuffed chair. I always love listening to the early morning sounds of birds lifting their chorus. I close my eyes and sip my coffee to the sweet sound of nature praising God in the dawning light. This morning, however, was a bit different. I still quietly and sleepily made my way down the stairs to enjoy my coffee. However, this morning as I settled into my overstuffed chair, I heard thunder in the distance. Gazing out my window, I noticed a coming storm. Lightning and thunder was peeling in the dark sky, steadily creeping towards my house. It was in this instance that I noticed my familiar morning greeting: the birds were still singing in their trees. I sat in awe, listening to the birds noisily lift their voices as the steady rhythm of thunder and the flashing dance of the lightning drew closer and closer to their habitation. It was such a st

Closing Words: A Letter to All My Students

In case you have not heard the news, Geoff and I will be moving soon. We are starting a new chapter of our life…in Illinois, of all places!!! J A new chapter is always exciting. However, please know - We have no intention of ever closing the chapter of knowing and loving each one of you. We will always, ALWAYS be there for you. With Facebook and Skype we can always stay in touch, but even beyond that, we pray we stay personally connected to each of you. Knowing that we’ll soon be packing up and moving on, I’ve had a deep longing to give each of you a glimpse into my heart concerning you. So, what words can I leave you with? First off – know that my prayers will not stop for you. I never felt very good at connecting with you guys on a ‘buddy’ level like Geoff could. I was always envious of Geoff’s ability to be fun loving and down to earth with you all. But know that no one ever loved you more than me. My affection for you, although different from Geoff’s, has always been poured

My Father, My Friend

My Dad sent me a friend request on Facebook recently. I looked down on my phone and saw my Dad's name followed by the words, 'wants to be friends.' I gladly accepted. As I accepted his friend request, my heart was drawn into something I've been pondering lately - Friendship with my Father. It's amazing how friendship with my parents has happened. I can't tell you when it exactly happened, but somewhere along the way I became friends with my parents and not just a daughter. In fact, I don't call my parents because I have to...I really want to check on them, share my feelings with them, and just tell them about the mundane things of my day. Why? Because we're friends. Just yesterday I called my mom to see how her day was going. As I hung up the phone with her I thought about my teen years - back when I was much smarter than she was and couldn't stand it when she wanted to know every little detail of my day, let alone my Life! As my mind wandered back