Skip to main content

A Deep Word on Humility

Okay, so I don't mean DEEP like you're thinking! :) I find that the most simplest of truths are deep in nature. But this one is both simple and deep.

I was journaling about humility and I simply asked the Lord this:


    Do I have a humble spirit?

What is humility, child?


Well, I’d say it You: willing to take the low seat, to serve...but still so strong in character. It’s not weakness…it’s preferring others in true love, in serving them from the nature of the heart and not duty.

You have answered well, child. And speaking of well…look at this well.( I see me and Jesus at a well! ) Its depths are truly deep, are they not?


They are, Lord. I can see deep down into darkness. Now I see Jesus and me on a rope, descending deep inside the well with spelunking lights on our heads and flashlights and picks in our hands. Where are we going, Lord?

I want to show you the depths of humility, child. It is linked into the heart of a man, in the well of the spirit. It is a nature that only I can work. It is not in your fallen nature by any means, but it is a vein of gold…one hidden deep within the spirit man that I call forth and work up to the surface. Much like this well has this bucket to pull things out of the depths, so is humility drawn out of the heart of a man from the depths of the spirit. It is brought to the surface by those who pull the rope. Sometimes, it is the thirstiest, most needy people who will ‘pull on your rope’ for water to drink. Remember, I am the source of living water in you and I am MEEK and LOWLY in HEART! It is easy to pull on your own rope and toot your own horn
J but true humility offers itself as a drink offering to the thirsty and the haughty alike. It’s a call to ‘whoever is thirsty’ to come and drink of your very LIFE, child. This is humility…to offer yourself as I did, as a living sacrifice, a drink offering for the masses or for the one annoying man.

Lol! Too funny, Lord. It is that one who pulls on the rope that can annoy me and bring up a different kind of reaction. :)


This is why I’ve brought you into the depths of the well, child, so that you can see the importance of keeping your water pure.


Kind of like the old western movies of ‘stryktnyne’ being in the well? ;)


Yes! Exactly like that! See, theses waters are muddied deep down. Muddied by bad attitudes or transitions in life that left people sour. But with a touch of my hand…(Jesus touches the water)…and a picking away at the source of the problem…(I see Jesus has me pick away at a big muddy clod that is built along the wall and polluting the water…it falls in his hands)…if you allow me to work at the depths of the heart and remove the problem…shining MY LIGHT (the flashlights!) on the issue, I can remove it and change a man’s nature.



Wow! That’s awesome! And now the waters are clean!


Yes! This is how humility works, or anger issues, or problems of the heart that cause confusion and doubt…it’s all inside, the depths of the spirit.


Beautiful, Lord!





So, there you go! A deep truth about humility...it comes from the depths of us!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Song in the Storm

Every weekday morning, I awake before dawn. I quietly and sleepily make my way down the stairs where I enjoy my first cup of coffee in my overstuffed chair. I always love listening to the early morning sounds of birds lifting their chorus. I close my eyes and sip my coffee to the sweet sound of nature praising God in the dawning light. This morning, however, was a bit different. I still quietly and sleepily made my way down the stairs to enjoy my coffee. However, this morning as I settled into my overstuffed chair, I heard thunder in the distance. Gazing out my window, I noticed a coming storm. Lightning and thunder was peeling in the dark sky, steadily creeping towards my house. It was in this instance that I noticed my familiar morning greeting: the birds were still singing in their trees. I sat in awe, listening to the birds noisily lift their voices as the steady rhythm of thunder and the flashing dance of the lightning drew closer and closer to their habitation. It was such a st

Closing Words: A Letter to All My Students

In case you have not heard the news, Geoff and I will be moving soon. We are starting a new chapter of our life…in Illinois, of all places!!! J A new chapter is always exciting. However, please know - We have no intention of ever closing the chapter of knowing and loving each one of you. We will always, ALWAYS be there for you. With Facebook and Skype we can always stay in touch, but even beyond that, we pray we stay personally connected to each of you. Knowing that we’ll soon be packing up and moving on, I’ve had a deep longing to give each of you a glimpse into my heart concerning you. So, what words can I leave you with? First off – know that my prayers will not stop for you. I never felt very good at connecting with you guys on a ‘buddy’ level like Geoff could. I was always envious of Geoff’s ability to be fun loving and down to earth with you all. But know that no one ever loved you more than me. My affection for you, although different from Geoff’s, has always been poured

My Father, My Friend

My Dad sent me a friend request on Facebook recently. I looked down on my phone and saw my Dad's name followed by the words, 'wants to be friends.' I gladly accepted. As I accepted his friend request, my heart was drawn into something I've been pondering lately - Friendship with my Father. It's amazing how friendship with my parents has happened. I can't tell you when it exactly happened, but somewhere along the way I became friends with my parents and not just a daughter. In fact, I don't call my parents because I have to...I really want to check on them, share my feelings with them, and just tell them about the mundane things of my day. Why? Because we're friends. Just yesterday I called my mom to see how her day was going. As I hung up the phone with her I thought about my teen years - back when I was much smarter than she was and couldn't stand it when she wanted to know every little detail of my day, let alone my Life! As my mind wandered back