Skip to main content

Ponderings on Purity

I don't usually just sit and write out my ponderings...at least not like this. Still here I am.
My heart is somewhere in a place it's been before. It's that place of feeling different. I am different from people around me. Sometimes, I feel like an odd ball. Sometimes, I feel like a square peg in a round hole. But more and more, I'm finding that...well....I'm growing to be more than fine with it. Different is good.

Of course every Christian is called to be different from the world around them. This is simply stating the obvious. But where I often feel different is among my fellow believers. And frankly, this is what makes me stop and ponder tonight. Am I really that different? I honestly ask myself that when I'm praying. No joke. My answer is, No - I know I'm not. I know that Christianity is anything but normal. And heck! There are people I admire who are walking in levels of devotion I have not come close to walking in! Still, I am taken back when so many of my brothers and sisters in Christ don't feel like I feel. Hear me on this - I'm not saying that everyone has to be just like me, as if I've got it all figured out. That's not it at all. I'm simply saying, why do I appear to be the prude around others whom I love in the Body of Christ? It seems so basic to me: there are certain things in entertainment that are not beneficial for my walk. I didn't say that they were even 'sinful'...just not beneficial.

Now I know this is a slippery slope where people can judge each other based upon their own 'convictions' and discernment....legalism becomes a ditch on one side of the road and liberalism on the other. Trust me. I know this quite well. But, aren't some things black and white or has everything become a shade of gray? Even while pondering this tonight I thought, 'well, to the pure all things are pure (Titus 2:15)' so a believer can watch a program full of blatant unrighteousness because we are pure and ALL things are pure to the pure? On one hand I say, sure...my purity is based upon the blood of Jesus to cleanse me. He alone is my righteousness. I can read through a story that has muck and mire and glean from it. I'm not a prude in that regard. I know there are some people who feel like fairy tales shouldn't be read to their children because of the references to magic, fairies and witches. That may be some believers, but that's not me. That I 'do or do not watch' a TV show has nothing to do with what saves me. But what about on the other hand? Even while pondering this passage in Titus, my mind jumped to Phil. 4:8 - whatever things are true, noble, just, pure, lovely....think on these things. Can I say that entertainment that is dark, full of sexuality, occultic, atheistic, and the like line up with this list? I mean...isn't this BASIC?

Titus says more in that little book than simply 'to the pure all things are pure.' It says in the same verse that people's 'minds and consciences are defiled.'  Hmmmm....It says in the next chapter that the grace of God teaches us to deny ungodliness and worldly lusts; to live soberly, righteously, and godly in this present age...looking to Jesus who redeemed us from every lawless deed and purified us to be His own special people, zealous for good works (2:11-14). And wow...he also says in chapter 3 that 'those who have believed in God should be careful to maintain good works,' and 'to learn to maintain good works...that we may not be unfruitful' (3:8, 14). Now I know some people may not think of their entertainment choices as good works and I can see that argument. But, oh!!! The power of purity in the heart, mind, eye gate, and ear gate! Oh the purity that comes in walking with Jesus so close that nothing can compare to him! Whether that entertainment stuff is 'sin' or just 'unbeneficial'...it doesn't compare and it's not worth it! His love is better than all of that! THAT'S why my heart is pondering all of this! I believe that His people just have not had a revelation of His worth. That song/show/program/book....even if it has the SLIGHTEST chance of barely twitching my Beloved's heart...it's not worth it. It really, seriously...all comes down...to Love.



So, yeah. I desire his bride to see the beauty of Jesus more and more; to know that nothing compares to him. That stuff? It's just. Not. Worth it.  I'm not scared it's sending me to hell. No. I simply want to be closer to and more like Jesus and that stuff doesn't look like Him at all. If I'm gonna raise the dead, I want to be entertained by the one who is so fascinating in form and holiness far more than I am from a show about 'the living dead.'

Someone...come be different with me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Song in the Storm

Every weekday morning, I awake before dawn. I quietly and sleepily make my way down the stairs where I enjoy my first cup of coffee in my overstuffed chair. I always love listening to the early morning sounds of birds lifting their chorus. I close my eyes and sip my coffee to the sweet sound of nature praising God in the dawning light. This morning, however, was a bit different. I still quietly and sleepily made my way down the stairs to enjoy my coffee. However, this morning as I settled into my overstuffed chair, I heard thunder in the distance. Gazing out my window, I noticed a coming storm. Lightning and thunder was peeling in the dark sky, steadily creeping towards my house. It was in this instance that I noticed my familiar morning greeting: the birds were still singing in their trees. I sat in awe, listening to the birds noisily lift their voices as the steady rhythm of thunder and the flashing dance of the lightning drew closer and closer to their habitation. It was such a st

Closing Words: A Letter to All My Students

In case you have not heard the news, Geoff and I will be moving soon. We are starting a new chapter of our life…in Illinois, of all places!!! J A new chapter is always exciting. However, please know - We have no intention of ever closing the chapter of knowing and loving each one of you. We will always, ALWAYS be there for you. With Facebook and Skype we can always stay in touch, but even beyond that, we pray we stay personally connected to each of you. Knowing that we’ll soon be packing up and moving on, I’ve had a deep longing to give each of you a glimpse into my heart concerning you. So, what words can I leave you with? First off – know that my prayers will not stop for you. I never felt very good at connecting with you guys on a ‘buddy’ level like Geoff could. I was always envious of Geoff’s ability to be fun loving and down to earth with you all. But know that no one ever loved you more than me. My affection for you, although different from Geoff’s, has always been poured

My Father, My Friend

My Dad sent me a friend request on Facebook recently. I looked down on my phone and saw my Dad's name followed by the words, 'wants to be friends.' I gladly accepted. As I accepted his friend request, my heart was drawn into something I've been pondering lately - Friendship with my Father. It's amazing how friendship with my parents has happened. I can't tell you when it exactly happened, but somewhere along the way I became friends with my parents and not just a daughter. In fact, I don't call my parents because I have to...I really want to check on them, share my feelings with them, and just tell them about the mundane things of my day. Why? Because we're friends. Just yesterday I called my mom to see how her day was going. As I hung up the phone with her I thought about my teen years - back when I was much smarter than she was and couldn't stand it when she wanted to know every little detail of my day, let alone my Life! As my mind wandered back