Skip to main content

The Power of Blessing

I was reading Genesis 27 this morning and was so struck by verse 35 - Jacob took Esau's blessing by deceit. I mean....how is that even possible?!? It just seems crazy and well...unfair. I decided to take it to the Lord in journaling and wouldn't you know it? It goes RIGHT along with my challenge of guarding my mouth. It's posted below. Enjoy!


September 16, 2011


As continued in my study this morning on Gen 27, and the crazy power of blessing:

Lord, talk to me about blessing. You told me blessing is your favor. I like that. Expound on this word, this power, and this passage, please.


My word is my bond, child. What I bless cannot be receded. It cannot be undone. What I say forever stands. My word is forever settled in the heavens. Yes, I am waiting for my word to be settled in the earth. But in the people ‘of earth’, the ones I made out of the earth, there is a word of blessing. I blessed creation. I blessed mankind and that seed of blessing lives inside of every heart. Yes, my fortune, my good will, my pleasure and gift of happiness rests inside every created man, woman, and child. The breath, the lungs, the heartbeat cannot come apart from my word of blessing. It is what brings good to your physical frame. For those who call on my name, the blessing in the soil buds forth to produce an abundant harvest. This is why my Son said if you follow him, you will find abundant life. It is not to say that those who do not follow him will not have blessing. Indeed, they will….because I can not recede my blessing. They are forever blessed. This is the power of words, child. Every time you bless or curse, it rings out into heaven…and into the soil around you…the (literal) earth soil under your feet and the Earth Soil before you (people). Who you bless, I will bless. Who you curse, the curse will follow. It is the power of my words in your mouth. Do not be quick to speak hastily, child. There is a time to bless all people. There is a time to remain silent. You do not want to bless that which I do not bless.

But, you bless all things and all people.

Yes, but I do not bless all plans. Remember, my word says that man makes their own plans and decisions but it is I who chart the future (Prov.16:9). I chart the course. I will not bless man’s disobedience. I cannot bless it for that would be unfair…unfair to my word, and unfair to their being. If I bless that which is dangerous, how would I be a fair God? If I bless that which I good…but isn’t the best, how would I be fair? I want abundant blessing and life for all of my children…even for those who do not know me. Right now, in the sons of disobedience, I am working a blessing. It is a true blessing, but it is one that is hidden to the unknown eye. (When the Lord said this, I felt as if believers are called to train their eye to ‘see and know’ the hidden blessing in the lost). I am working the blessing of life, obviously. But I am working my blessing of grace, drawing their heart to my heart. This is a blessing, indeed. The greatest blessing they will ever receive apart from coming into the fullness of my Son. I desire to bless them. When they look at you and they see my other children, the abundance of your fruit of blessing should be so overwhelming that the seed of blessing inside of them begins to stir, growing towards the light that is in you. Do you see this?


Yes, Lord. I see my light is shining. And it’s like I’m a tree. The little seeds of blessing inside of the lost are sprouting and growing towards the light. Yes, even their eyes are drawn to the tree. It is a combination of their will (eyes) and the blessing (seed) drawing them to you. You in me!

And what will you do when they turn to you? Curse them? Or bless them? You can always bless the person. Bless the earth! Bless my creation. Speak life and it will stand. The seed will be watered, child. Do not curse them. Do let my Spirit whisper to your heart what plans should not be followed through with.(I see myself speaking to a lost person. The Lord is whispering to me about ‘a plan’ that should not be blessed. I am silently praying that it will not come to pass. This, in essence, really is a BLESSING and not a curse!) Even, then, child my grace is so vast and profound, that I send protection to those who make their own plans. You should have been killed off years ago! You could have died! But my angels followed after you. This is favor, too.

Yes it is!!! J


When you choose to bless and not curse, power is released out of you like you cannot imagine. Look and see.
 
I see me speaking, releasing a blessing. It’s like a firework coming out of my mouth! An explosion! Beautiful lights!


My word is power! Dunamis as you’ve heard taught. It is powerful; light bearing. My word is light (Ps 97:11). Light is sown into the darkness, into the soil o f the heart. When you bless your brethren, I bless them. Your words are my words. They are settled forever. Remember, my words in your mouth are just as powerful as my words in my mouth.

Yes, Lord.  So, what about Jacob getting blessing by deceit? That just seems crazy? What do you have to say about that?

Jacob was my own chosen vessel. I told Abraham and Sarah that their seed would be blessed. The same promise was given to Isaac. I foretold Jacob’s destiny in my FAVOR from his womb. I told Rebecca that two nations wrestled in her womb and that the older would serve the younger. I told her this from the beginning. She loved Jacob very much. Understandably so. Yet, she worked in her own effort to see that blessing come to pass. You see, she no more had to work for my word to come to pass then she did to receive the implanted embryo of her children. It came by my blessing and my word of her seed being blessed. Both of her children were called to be blessed. However, I set Jacob apart for a special purpose. Esau had his own purpose, too. He was not as keen to chase after that promise. I cannot bless his paths and decisions…only his person (Pr 19:21; Ps 81:13).

I see that.

 It is true that Jacob and his mother dressed themselves up to receive what was already theirs. You do not know how this broke my heart. It wasn’t a brokenness of anger or disappointment that was irrevocable. It was a sadness of them not trusting my word. It didn’t change my word…but it made Jacob’s journeys harder…and his mothers. For she was parted form her son when he ran for his life.


Hmmm. Sad.

Jacob dressed up like Esau, under his mothers command. My children often dress up to receive blessing by deceit at the ‘mothers’ command. The mother, of course, is the church. The church imposes things upon my people…those I’ve already called blessed…and tells them in order to receive blessing they must act a certain way and do certain things. They put strife upon my people. It is a sad truth. Once again, I sit and sigh just waiting for someone to take my word by faith.

Like Abraham did. Righteousness imparted from pure faith, not works.

Yes. This was true faith. Still, Jacob received the blessing. What his father spoke upon him was spoken. It would stand and not fall. That is the power of blessing. If I speak blessing over one to be the leader then I cannot recant that blessing. It is established. Do you see how sloppy words would become if you could pick and choose when to recant words and when to establish them? The world would not be in order! The world would be in worse chaos! Isn’t this the reason for so much chaos in the world now, daughter? So many broken promises? So many people speaking a word then recanting on it?

Yes, Lord. You are so right.

Words have to be settled and established or the world’s axis would not be settled. I SPOKE the world into existence! That word is settled!

Wow! The power of  WORDS!!!

Jacob’s motives were not pure. He could have rested in what was prophesied at his birth. I would have performed it because I always perform my word. It will not come back to me empty, you see.

Yes, father.

Jacob earned blessing by deceit and therefore created a hard road for himself. It would have been better to let the blessings fall as it was planned, because I had a bethel planned for him form the beginning. It could have come, however, while resting in his own bed…not while he was out on the run for his life.


Lol! I see that!

Wouldn’t the blessing have been so much more sweet if he had been resting at home and not on a rock?

Lol!

It would have come child. However, it came ahead of time. Through deceit. Sometimes my people earn positions or names way before they are suppose to. This is a form of deceit in that it is them working to get a blessing.

That is deceitful? I know it’s wrong…but deceit?

Yes. Because they are trying to say that I am opening doors when I am not. That is deceit.

Wow. How do I know if I am doing that, Lord?

Anything you do that causes you to sweat is not of me. Like the priests in the temple, you are never called to wear garments that make you sweat. You are always called to rest, rest, rest.
 
Lol! Rest, rest, rest. Yes, Lord
 
It is deceitful in this, too: your heart will be deceived into thinking that I am the one promoting you or silencing you. Either way, whatever you are walking into by your own efforts…or whatever you are settling into by your own efforts…is a deceit of the heart. I am the one who opens doors and in the right season. No, this does not make me angry. No, it doesn’t stop the blessing BUT it does make the journey harder for my children. They will be running, striving to keep that which I wanted to give them after seasons of trying the heart, marinating the heart in lessons of mercy, grace, and humility. Blessed are those who wait for my time, after seasons of humility and love are established in the heart. Otherwise, a Laban will wait for them to humble them. It would have been better for Jacob to humble himself! Do you see this?

Oh, yes, Lord! It’s good stuff.

Blessing that comes with deceit always comes with a burden. But the blessing which I give, adds no sorrow to it.
 
That’s in proverbs (Prov 10:22)! Wow! I never would have tied that together!

 Lol! That’s why you come to me, child! I can give you insight!

 Yes, you can J

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Song in the Storm

Every weekday morning, I awake before dawn. I quietly and sleepily make my way down the stairs where I enjoy my first cup of coffee in my overstuffed chair. I always love listening to the early morning sounds of birds lifting their chorus. I close my eyes and sip my coffee to the sweet sound of nature praising God in the dawning light. This morning, however, was a bit different. I still quietly and sleepily made my way down the stairs to enjoy my coffee. However, this morning as I settled into my overstuffed chair, I heard thunder in the distance. Gazing out my window, I noticed a coming storm. Lightning and thunder was peeling in the dark sky, steadily creeping towards my house. It was in this instance that I noticed my familiar morning greeting: the birds were still singing in their trees. I sat in awe, listening to the birds noisily lift their voices as the steady rhythm of thunder and the flashing dance of the lightning drew closer and closer to their habitation. It was such a st

Closing Words: A Letter to All My Students

In case you have not heard the news, Geoff and I will be moving soon. We are starting a new chapter of our life…in Illinois, of all places!!! J A new chapter is always exciting. However, please know - We have no intention of ever closing the chapter of knowing and loving each one of you. We will always, ALWAYS be there for you. With Facebook and Skype we can always stay in touch, but even beyond that, we pray we stay personally connected to each of you. Knowing that we’ll soon be packing up and moving on, I’ve had a deep longing to give each of you a glimpse into my heart concerning you. So, what words can I leave you with? First off – know that my prayers will not stop for you. I never felt very good at connecting with you guys on a ‘buddy’ level like Geoff could. I was always envious of Geoff’s ability to be fun loving and down to earth with you all. But know that no one ever loved you more than me. My affection for you, although different from Geoff’s, has always been poured

Psalm 17 Insights Part 2

In reading Psalm 17 yesterday, I could not escape verse 2... let my vindication come from Your Presence. As soon as I read the words, I sensed the Holy Spirit. I came back to it over and over while I read the Psalm. My first thought was, 'Wow! David is soooo bold!' But then my thoughts would be wrapped in the Presence and I knew there was more here for me. So, I did what I need to do more often - I journaled about it, taking it to God one on one. I've posted that entry here below, but before you read it, let me say this: I know there is more here that I've yet to tap into. I believe this is a message for intercessors specifically. But more than that, it is a message for the hungry ones in the Kingdom. I'll add  few words at the end of this post to sum up some more thoughts I believe God is putting together for me. For now, enjoy the entry posted below: Psalm 17:2 – Let my vindication come from Your presence… There is something here for me today, Lord. I sens