Skip to main content

Seasoned With Grace

So - my challenge? It's going okay. I'll be honest - I wish there were people DOING it with me. It would be so much easier if I never heard a believer around me complain, criticize, etc. Ya know what I mean? But overall, the challenge has become more of a lifestyle. There are days when I slip up and go, 'Oops. Missed that point in my challenge!' but overall, like I said, it really has become more of a lifestyle to guard my words. This challenge has really helped me in this. However, it is the amazing presence of my Papa & learning more about His heart that encourages me NOT to speak negatively.

I've been studying Grace lately. Man - grace is, well...amazing! We sing about it in services and funerals...heck, even unbelievers are moved to tears when they hear the tune! Amazing Grace! For those of us who have truly received saving grace, we have a much greater reason to sing! We should be basking in it, celebrating it, and sharing it with everyone we see. The problem is we don't really understand grace. Grace has been so abused by many believers. On one end of the 'abuse' spectrum you have the believers who use grace as a get out of jail free card, living however they want because 'they prayed a prayer' and 'now there's grace.' On the other end of the spectrum you find believers who believe grace was just enough to save you, but you better get to work now to please the Father because 'it's ONLY by grace you are saved'...believing grace is like a split second moment of kindness from God. In between these two extremes is all kinds of confusion, where many believers live just trying to find a balance.

What I've found grace to be is the 'empowering presence of God.' It is the very ability to LIVE holy, righteous, and blameless before God. It's a mysterious, glorious gift that God gives us freely through faith in Christ. Really, it's His Holy Spirit living in us, giving us ALL things that we need to live holy. We literally ARE EMPOWERED to live like Jesus. I am learning so much about grace, realizing how much I have to unlearn because of the abuse spectrum doctrine on grace. Many believers are confused about grace, even abusing grace, because they have not discovered the power of grace. It's no wonder that people within the body of Christ are critical, negative, speaking negatively and nit picking...they have NO IDEA the power they have been given! Out of the heart the mouth speaks (Mt 12:34), so if believers hearts are filled with fear, anger, and an overall lack of understanding of true grace, it's no wonder we speak such venom and despair. I speak, 'Grace! Grace!' to the body of Christ! Eyes to see, ears to hear and a heart to receive the marvelous grace of God!

This week, I've found myself gently assisting  a friend who tends to speak negatively (I say 'assisting' because 'correcting' just doesn't sound very gracious!). This week, when I caught my friend complaining about a persons flaws I suddenly found myself saying, 'give grace to that person.' I really think that this was a Holy Spirit revelation speaking through me. I didn't mean to say it but Pop! Out it came! But think about it- isn't that what we need to do in conversation and life in general? When someones faults effect our life it's easy to complain. But not one of us is without fault and we want others to show us grace when we fail. Shouldn't we give the same to others? "Well, that person is constantly lazy and late!' Shhh. Speak grace to that person. "Well, so and so makes me so angry and..." Shhh. Speak grace to that person.

If I am correct and grace really is the empowering presence of God, then there is nothing better you can speak over a person than grace. If they have a weakness, don't complain about it...speak GRACE to it! And when you are feeling yourself becoming annoyed and you want to complain, simply remember the amazing grace YOU'VE been shown in your own life. Aren't you glad that Father isn't up in heaven rolling his eyes at us when we lack character, looking at Jesus saying with disgust, 'Ugh. Desiree is always lacking in that area. She's so annoying!' No. I believe he's speaking, 'Grace, grace to you, daughter.' Why? Because the Word that was with God in the beginning, the One who's Words speak things into existence, truly understands the power of releasing blessing. The blessing of grace upon His Words empowers our hearts to live like Him.  

Colossians 4:6 says, 'Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one.'

I can have no better goal than that right there. If I make my aim to always speak with grace, then my aim is actually to be just like my Daddy...and that's a goal I've been given grace to achieve!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Song in the Storm

Every weekday morning, I awake before dawn. I quietly and sleepily make my way down the stairs where I enjoy my first cup of coffee in my overstuffed chair. I always love listening to the early morning sounds of birds lifting their chorus. I close my eyes and sip my coffee to the sweet sound of nature praising God in the dawning light. This morning, however, was a bit different. I still quietly and sleepily made my way down the stairs to enjoy my coffee. However, this morning as I settled into my overstuffed chair, I heard thunder in the distance. Gazing out my window, I noticed a coming storm. Lightning and thunder was peeling in the dark sky, steadily creeping towards my house. It was in this instance that I noticed my familiar morning greeting: the birds were still singing in their trees. I sat in awe, listening to the birds noisily lift their voices as the steady rhythm of thunder and the flashing dance of the lightning drew closer and closer to their habitation. It was such a st

Closing Words: A Letter to All My Students

In case you have not heard the news, Geoff and I will be moving soon. We are starting a new chapter of our life…in Illinois, of all places!!! J A new chapter is always exciting. However, please know - We have no intention of ever closing the chapter of knowing and loving each one of you. We will always, ALWAYS be there for you. With Facebook and Skype we can always stay in touch, but even beyond that, we pray we stay personally connected to each of you. Knowing that we’ll soon be packing up and moving on, I’ve had a deep longing to give each of you a glimpse into my heart concerning you. So, what words can I leave you with? First off – know that my prayers will not stop for you. I never felt very good at connecting with you guys on a ‘buddy’ level like Geoff could. I was always envious of Geoff’s ability to be fun loving and down to earth with you all. But know that no one ever loved you more than me. My affection for you, although different from Geoff’s, has always been poured

My Father, My Friend

My Dad sent me a friend request on Facebook recently. I looked down on my phone and saw my Dad's name followed by the words, 'wants to be friends.' I gladly accepted. As I accepted his friend request, my heart was drawn into something I've been pondering lately - Friendship with my Father. It's amazing how friendship with my parents has happened. I can't tell you when it exactly happened, but somewhere along the way I became friends with my parents and not just a daughter. In fact, I don't call my parents because I have to...I really want to check on them, share my feelings with them, and just tell them about the mundane things of my day. Why? Because we're friends. Just yesterday I called my mom to see how her day was going. As I hung up the phone with her I thought about my teen years - back when I was much smarter than she was and couldn't stand it when she wanted to know every little detail of my day, let alone my Life! As my mind wandered back