Skip to main content

Humility

Wow! It's been a while since I've stopped to blog. I've thought about it many times but finally stopped to actually do it. Life has been pretty busy the last month and I am so thankful that it is slowing down.

Now, about my challenge...it really is becoming a more natural way of living. I am thankful that I catch myself guarding my words and weighing them before I speak. I know that Rome wasn't built in a day...and old habits are hard to break...but God's grace is poured out daily to see the transformation take place. I was actually thinking to myself just yesterday that it is getting easier to walk in Psalm 17:3's challenge. That was yesterday...then there is today.

TODAY I was reading God's word and out of the blue I remembered a couple things that I said yesterday. I made a comment about someones outfit; nothing major rude or anything but why did I even say it out loud? Then later that same evening, I laughed at something that struck me as funny...at someone else's expense. Oh, they didn't know that I did...but I know. So, here I am once again saying, 'Father, I was wrong.'

I realized as I was praying about it that my attitude on these comments was directly related to my lack of humility. In both instances, if I get honest with myself, I was exalting myself above the other person. I was saying, 'I know how to dress and you don't' and 'wow, I'm better than you are.' Sure...I didn't actually SAY that or even THINK that, but it was there. Humility is something that we learn from Jesus. Matthew 11:29 he said, 'LEARN humility from me because I am lowly in my heart.' Christ's very nature, his heart and his mind, were set in a place of humility. I was pondering this and my heart was led to Phil. 2:3-7 (Amplified Version):

3Do nothing from factional motives [through contentiousness, strife, selfishness, or for unworthy ends] or prompted by conceit and empty arrogance. Instead, in the true spirit of humility (lowliness of mind) let each regard the others as better than and superior to himself [thinking more highly of one another than you do of yourselves]...5Let this same attitude and purpose and [humble] mind be in you which was in Christ Jesus: [Let Him be your example in humility:]
6Who, although being essentially one with God and in the form of God [[a]possessing the fullness of the attributes which make God God], did not [b]think this equality with God was a thing to be eagerly grasped [c]or retained,
7But stripped Himself [of all privileges and [d]rightful dignity], so as to assume the guise of a servant (slave), in that He became like men and was born a human being.

The very MIND of Christ is one of humility. I must LET this mind work in me. He esteemed everyone better than himself and laid down his life for them. If I let this attitude work in me, then it is only natural for my speech to be seasoned with humility and grace. Humility, like praise, is a muzzle and it is one I greatly desire to be upon my life.

So, today I commit to learn from Jesus humility. Dear friends and family, if you see me walking or taking without it....thump my head! I want a muzzle of praise and humility upon my mouth today and always!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Song in the Storm

Every weekday morning, I awake before dawn. I quietly and sleepily make my way down the stairs where I enjoy my first cup of coffee in my overstuffed chair. I always love listening to the early morning sounds of birds lifting their chorus. I close my eyes and sip my coffee to the sweet sound of nature praising God in the dawning light. This morning, however, was a bit different. I still quietly and sleepily made my way down the stairs to enjoy my coffee. However, this morning as I settled into my overstuffed chair, I heard thunder in the distance. Gazing out my window, I noticed a coming storm. Lightning and thunder was peeling in the dark sky, steadily creeping towards my house. It was in this instance that I noticed my familiar morning greeting: the birds were still singing in their trees. I sat in awe, listening to the birds noisily lift their voices as the steady rhythm of thunder and the flashing dance of the lightning drew closer and closer to their habitation. It was such a st

Closing Words: A Letter to All My Students

In case you have not heard the news, Geoff and I will be moving soon. We are starting a new chapter of our life…in Illinois, of all places!!! J A new chapter is always exciting. However, please know - We have no intention of ever closing the chapter of knowing and loving each one of you. We will always, ALWAYS be there for you. With Facebook and Skype we can always stay in touch, but even beyond that, we pray we stay personally connected to each of you. Knowing that we’ll soon be packing up and moving on, I’ve had a deep longing to give each of you a glimpse into my heart concerning you. So, what words can I leave you with? First off – know that my prayers will not stop for you. I never felt very good at connecting with you guys on a ‘buddy’ level like Geoff could. I was always envious of Geoff’s ability to be fun loving and down to earth with you all. But know that no one ever loved you more than me. My affection for you, although different from Geoff’s, has always been poured

My Father, My Friend

My Dad sent me a friend request on Facebook recently. I looked down on my phone and saw my Dad's name followed by the words, 'wants to be friends.' I gladly accepted. As I accepted his friend request, my heart was drawn into something I've been pondering lately - Friendship with my Father. It's amazing how friendship with my parents has happened. I can't tell you when it exactly happened, but somewhere along the way I became friends with my parents and not just a daughter. In fact, I don't call my parents because I have to...I really want to check on them, share my feelings with them, and just tell them about the mundane things of my day. Why? Because we're friends. Just yesterday I called my mom to see how her day was going. As I hung up the phone with her I thought about my teen years - back when I was much smarter than she was and couldn't stand it when she wanted to know every little detail of my day, let alone my Life! As my mind wandered back